A golfer swings his club during Grindstone Neck Golf Course’s 125th anniversary festivities in 2016. Courses around the state were forced to close beginning April 2 following an executive order from Governor Janet Mills. FILE PHOTO

Golf season on hold following Governor’s order



By Drew Bonifant

Kennebec Journal/Morning Sentinel

AUGUSTA — It was a sunny, warm day, so Robert Berube did Monday what he often does on such an afternoon.

He grabbed his clubs and hit the links at the Augusta Country Club in Manchester — even as courses across the state were closed last Thursday per an executive order from Governor Janet Mills in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

“They didn’t say we couldn’t,” added Berube, a club member. “[The] mandate clearly did not apply. No one was conducting business. No one was profiting.”

Governor Mills mandated that Maine residents should stay at home unless participating in essential business or activities, a decision that effectively halted through April a golf season that was enjoying one of its best starts in years, with mild temperatures and dry grounds bringing players before the spring officially began.

The Maine State Golf Association appealed, hoping that the measures courses were taking to limit contact and assist in social distancing — such as raised cups, no carts, no clubhouse access — would allow the sport to continue under the order’s fifth criteria for essential activities, which allows for “engaging in outdoor exercise activities, such as fishing, walking, hiking, running or biking, but only in compliance with the gathering restriction.”

But Mills’ decision to close golf courses still stands.

Berube said he played Monday while keeping distance from his playing partner. He acknowledged that the order prevented public courses from collecting greens fees, but said that private courses, like the Augusta Country Club — where membership fees have already been gathered — is a different situation, as there is no longer business being conducted.

However, Augusta Country Club General Manager Dave Soucy said the club is closed, including to members.

The decision to close golf courses drew mixed reactions.

“Certainly, I get it. There’s part of me that gets it, the rational adult,” said Heath Cowan, a member of Lakewood Golf Course in Madison and an annual Maine Amateur competitor. “But the golfer in me is like, ‘This has got to be one of the sports that we’ve got to be able to get out and play.’ I understand the social distancing, I get that. I get what everybody’s trying to do to stop the spread, but we can play four guys in a group and not talk to each other, much less touch each other.”

Christian McCrory, the director of sales at Dunegrass Country Club in Old Orchard Beach, organized a petition to Mills for golf to be included as an essential business. As of early Wednesday morning, the petition had gathered 5,425 signatures.

“We’re a little frustrated that people are being encouraged to go out and hike, to bike, to walk, to do things to get exercise that, in all reality, you could come into closer contact with people than you would on a golf course,” he said.

There are also the business ramifications involved. For southern Maine courses, which open regularly in March, taking April off the books is a blow.

“This is not a sport where people are raking in the cash,” McCrory said.
“When you’re able to open in mid-to-late March, losing the month of April is
huge.”

The order is easier to handle farther north into central Maine and beyond, where April is always a toss-up. Hancock County golf courses include Grindstone Neck Golf Course in Winter Harbor, Lucerne Golf Club in Dedham, Bucksport Golf Club, Blue Hill Country Club, Castine Golf Club, Blink Bonnie Golf Links in Sorrento and Kebo Valley Golf Club, Northeast Harbor Golf Course and The Causeway Club on Mount Desert Island.

“Last year, we weren’t able to open with carts until June 1, maybe later. So
as of right now, if it doesn’t get any worse, we’re not really looking to be in
that bad of shape,” said Gavin Dugas, a playing and teaching professional
at J.W. Parks Golf Course in Pittsfield. “I’ve talked with my dad, [owner and
pro Mike Dugas]. He thinks if we can get people out by the first of May,
then we’ll be doing all right.”

MSGA Executive Director Brian Bickford is optimistic that the order will be lifted as expected by the start of May, allowing the MSGA tournament season to proceed as scheduled.

“You plan for the worst and hope for the best,” he said. “We know what’s at stake, if you will, and we’re trying not to overreact if we don’t need to.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *