BUCKSPORT — Familiar faces led the way at Saturday’s Hancock County cross-country championships in Bucksport.
Deer Isle-Stonington’s Brendan Penfold and George Stevens Academy’s Eliza Broughton were individual winners at the event. Penfold finished in 16 minutes, 21.45 seconds, and Broughton won in 19:14.98 to record her best time of the season.
Mount Desert Island won both the boys’ and girls’ team events. The Trojans produced four top-10 runners on the boys’ side and five on the girls’ side.
The Ellsworth boys and GSA girls claimed second. The Eagles got fourth- and ninth-place finishes from Matt Shea and Mark Berry, respectively, and GSA’s girls got top-10 finishes from Eliza Broughton, Mary Brenna Catus (fourth) and Grace Broughton (sixth).
Below is a list of the top-10 individual finishers and all team scores from both the boys’ and girls’ events.
- Brendan Penfold, Deer Isle-Stonington, 16 minutes, 21.45 seconds
- Thorin Smith, Mount Desert Island, 17:17.67
- Finian Burns, MDI, 17:20.96
- Matt Shea, Ellsworth, 17:31.44
- Luke Barnes, Sumner, 17:41.51
- Caden Mattson, George Stevens Academy, 17:44.82
- Calvin Partin, MDI, 17:55.08
- Jon Genrich, MDI, 18:07.82
- Mark Berry, Ellsworth, 18:14.27
- Isaac Wardwell, GSA, 18:22.14
Boys’ team scores
- MDI, 26
- Ellsworth, 49
- GSA, 60
- Sumner, 115
- Bucksport, 124
- Eliza Broughton, GSA, 19:14.98
- Katelyn Osborne, MDI, 20:33.27
- Caitlin MacPherson, Ellsworth, 20:48.42
- Mary Brenna Catus, GSA, 21:06.23
- Louise Chaplin, MDI, 21:06.55
- Grace Broughton, GSA, 21:17.99
- Olivia Johnson, MDI, 21:27.91
- Emily Banks, MDI, 21:28.44
- Loren Genrich, MDI, 21:48.29
- Lily Cook, MDI, 22:29.00