BUCKSPORT — Runners from five Hancock County high schools took part in their second meets of the 2018 cross-country season Saturday.
Locally, the Bucksport Invitational drew runners from Bucksport, George Stevens Academy, Sumner and Deer Isle-Stonington. The meet pitted competitors from those schools against other Class C teams throughout eastern Maine.
In the boys’ 5K run, Caden Mattson of GSA placed second behind Evan Merchant of Jonesport-Beals with a time of 17 minutes, 58.83 seconds. Sumner sophomores Luke Barnes and Logan Carter finished third and fourth with times of 18:00.68 and 18:33.04, respectively.
The girls’ side featured just 10 runners, and Lauren Morrison of Mattanawcook Academy was the winner with a time of 22:11.38. GSA’s Grace Broughton (second) and Lanny Zentz (third) also posted strong finishes.
The GSA boys won the team competition in Bucksport with a score of 17 points. Lee Academy placed second with 55 points, and Bucksport took third with 64.
Ellsworth competed in the Caribou Invitational against some of the top Class B and Class C teams. The Eagles brought a total of nine runners for the seven-heat boys’ and girls’ competitions.
Junior Matt Shea finished second in his heat and fourth of 75 overall on the boys’ side with a time of 17:35.16. Caitlin MacPherson crossed the finish line in 20:27.41 to place third of 11 in her heat and third of 67overall.
The Ellsworth boys finished behind Hermon and Caribou with 12 points. The girls’ team did not receive a placement as only four runners competed.
Below is a list of the top-10 individual finishers and all team scores from the Bucksport meet and all Ellsworth individual finishers and team scores from the Caribou meet.
Bucksport, boys’ individual
- Evan Merchant, Jonesport-Beals, 17 minutes, 1.21 seconds
- Caden Mattson, George Stevens Academy, 17:58.83
- Luke Barnes, Sumner, 18:00.68
- Logan Carter, Sumner, 18:33.04
- Travis Hunt, Narraguagus, 18:44.49
- Jacob Warner, Mattanawcook Academy, 19:00.33
- Ian Renwick, GSA, 19:04.47
- Andrew Szwez, GSA, 19:04.64
- Sean Schweizer, GSA, 19:11.79
- Davide Zanotta, Lee Academy, 19:20.92
Bucksport, boys’ team scores
- GSA, 17
- Lee Academy, 55
- Bucksport, 64
Bucksport, girls’ individual
- Lauren Morrison, Mattanawcook, 22:11.38
- Grace Broughton, GSA, 22:38.67
- Lanny Zentz, GSA, 22:44.32
- Alyssa Turner, Narraguagus, 22:52.12
- Tess Williamson, GSA, 22:59.07
- Josie Czuj, GSA, 23:04.69
- Oshi Ragot, GSA, 23:05.58
- Susanna Jakub, GSA, 23:05.97
- Dayana Ortiz, Narraguagus, 25:35.76
- Aryanna Beal, Narraguagus, 29:56.52
Bucksport, girls’ team scores
- GSA, 15
Caribou, Ellsworth boys’ individual
- Matt Shea, 17:35.16
- Beckett Markosian, 18:09.34
- Calvin Nelson, 18:25.00
- Bryce Carter, 18:57.80
- Mark Berry, 18:58.15
- Nick Cormier, 19:07.64
- Alex DeWitt, 21:56.42
Caribou, boys’ team scores
- Hermon, 5
- Caribou, 8
- Ellsworth, 12
- Old Town, 22
- Orono, 23
- John Bapst, 33
- Presque Isle, 36
- Maine School of Science and Mathematics, 40
- (9T) Greater Houlton Christian, 41
- (9T) Washburn, 41
Caribou, Ellsworth girls’ individual
- Caitlin MacPherson, 20:27.41
- Abby Mazgaj, 21:44.81
- Miriam Nelson, 21:55.79
- Emma McKechnie, 22:28.47
Caribou, girls’ team scores
- Orono, 5
- Caribou, 12
- John Bapst, 20
- (4T) Fort Fairfield, 23
- (4T) MSSM, 23
- (4T) Old Town, 23
- Houlton, 34
- Hermon, 38
- Fort Kent, 42