Mariners Lose Conference Opener To Husson

BANGOR — On a rain-soaked Boucher Field, Husson University edged Maine Maritime 13-9 amidst some gnarly weather.  Husson was led offensively by Mitch Heaps (Felton, PA) and Matt Sweeney (Norwood, MA), who each had 7 points for the Eagles. Heaps netted 5 and assisted 2 while Sweeney had the opposite, scoring a pair and assisting 5 scores. John Hooper (Wakefield, RI) saved 15 in a stellar day between the pipes, and Matt Tabler (Cantonsville, MD) scooped up 6 ground balls and caused two turnovers to lead the Husson defense. Tom Houle (Manchester, NH) scored a hat-trick in the loss, and he and Andrew DiSalvo (Glastonbury, CT) each had 4 points for the Mariners. Wade Mondoux (North Berwick) was a force for MMA, winning 12 of 19 face-offs, grabbing a game-high 7 ground balls and causing a pair of turnovers.

Husson opened up the scoring when Chris Pelletier scored off Sweeney’s first dime with 9:46 left in the first, but MMA answered two minutes later to tie it back up early. Husson scored three more in the half, including two in the last minute, culminating with Tony Diaz (Brunswick) picking up a ground ball and stuffing it home from close, his first of 3 for the Eagles, and they’d go into the second quarter up 4-1.

Maine Maritime struck back in the second quarter, the first came one minute in from Brian Corain (Berwick), before Houle scored his first, and DiSalvo netted the equalizer just 3 and a half minutes into the 2nd.  Nick Brown (Fort Worth, TX) responded for Husson, taking the lead 30 seconds after DiSalvo’s score. Brrown’s goal was part of a 3 goal spurt, ending with a man-up goal from Heaps with 20 seconds remaining. After the goal, DiSalvo netted his second, assisted by Houle, cutting Husson’s lead to 7-5 at the half.

Houle struck again to open the second half, making it just a one goal lead for the Eagles. Husson would score 5 unanswered goals to close out the period. Diaz scored the first two, including a man-down tally, followed by a nifty top-shelf snipe by Heaps from the left wing. Sweeney put in his second before Heaps added another with 40 seconds left in the 3rd, giving Husson the edge 12-6 going into the final frame.

Husson committed a penalty at the close of the 3rd, and MMA took advantage of the free possession and Chistopher Keiley (Holliston, MA) scored the quick transition goal from DiSalvo just 9 seconds into the 4th. Heaps scored his final tally with 11:37 left to play, but MMA scored two more, and continued to fight until the final whistle, but it was not enough to top the Eagles who earned their first conference win of the season.

Maine Maritime hosts Green Mountain on Saturday for a 1:00 pm start.

For more sports news, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American.


Latest posts by admin (see all)