Historical Survey Sought Before Dredging Begins



TREMONT — Century-old shipwrecks could impede the $1.9 million dredging of Bass Harbor, but the possibility is unlikely, selectmen said Monday.

 

The board was reacting to an e-mail from the Maine Historic Preservation Commission that called for a marine archeological survey of the dredge site to be done before any work begins. In the e-mail, Robin Stancampiano of the state historic commission requests that a “remote sensing survey” be conducted to determine if the shipwrecks of the Wreath in 1888 or of the Pearl in 1898 lie in the area where the dredging will occur.

Chairman Charlie Dillon questioned whether the survey was necessary, noting the area in question is very shallow at low tide. “If there had been a wreck in the up harbor we’d know it by now,” he said.

 

For more maritime news, pick up a copy of the Mount Desert Islander.

 

admin

Latest posts by admin (see all)