Flames Rip Old Cottage in Northeast Harbor



NORTHEAST HARBOR — Flames erupted inside the wall at a large summer cottage on Manchester Road in Northeast Harbor on the afternoon of Feb. 26.

The blaze at the $5.6-million property was the third structure fire in Northeast Harbor in four weeks. Firefighters from five area towns were called to help put out the blaze at the Edward McCormick Blair Sr. residence. Blair, a life trustee of College of the Atlantic, winters in the Chicago area.

The Mount Desert Fire Department was alerted to the blaze by an automated alarm system installed in the summer home at 4:35 p.m. Because of the immediate alert, the department was able to respond to the scene in time to stop the blaze from spreading throughout the structure, said Fire Chief Mike Bender.

“Quick response really saved that house,” Bender said.

The majority of the fire was knocked out by 5:02 p.m. and the blaze was under control by 5:18, he said.

The scene was all too familiar for area firefighters and residents, who have seen the devastating loss of four Main Street businesses and another Northeast Harbor residence in the last seven months.

“There is no connection between the fires, it’s just coincidental,” said Bender.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that the cause of the latest blaze was accidental, likely related to the installation of a new boiler and heat exchanger by Northeast Plumbing.

No serious injuries were reported.

For more details pick up a copy of the Mount Desert Islander.

Nicole Ouellette

Nicole Ouellette

When Nicole isn't giving advice she's completely unqualified to give, she runs an Internet marketing company in Bar Harbor, where she lives with her husband Derrick and their short dog Gidget. She loves young adult novels, cooking and talking French to anyone who'll talk back. [email protected]