SOUTHWEST HARBOR — A Sunday night fire destroyed a garage and apartment on the Salem Town Woods Road.
Fire chief Sam Chisholm said the fire at the Carol Bunker residence was called in shortly before 9 p.m. Firefighters were on the scene within minutes but the building was fully engulfed in flames and could not be saved, the chief said.
Ms. Bunker’s son, Jonathan, and his 21-year-old friend, Alec Zeiher, were living in the apartment above the garage. Mr. Zeiher heard a smoke detector go off downstairs and went to investigate.
“He went down and saw a wall was on fire,” Chief Chisholm said.
Mr. Zeiher ran to Ms. Bunker’s home and had her call the fire department. He then returned to the burning building in an unsuccessful attempt to rescue two kittens, Ms. Bunker said. Mr. Zeiher was later taken to Mount Desert Island Hospital in Bar Harbor, where he was treated and released for smoke inhalation.
Jonathan Bunker was not home when the fire broke out. His mother notified him of the fire by telephone.
For more community news, pick up a copy of the Mount Desert Islander.