Ellsworth firefighters responded to Meadow View Apartments Thursday night for a report of a fire in Building 14 that was later found to be the result of a “cooking error.” No injuries or significant damage was reported. PHOTO BY STEVE FULLER

Apartment fire in Ellsworth blamed on “cooking error”



ELLSWORTH — Firefighters responded to a report of a fire at Meadow View Apartments just before 6 p.m. on Thursday.

Ellsworth Fire Chief Richard Tupper said the initial call came from a resident in a neighboring apartment who said both smoke and flames were visible. That led to automatic mutual aid calls to Hancock, Lamoine and Trenton.

No flames were visible when firefighters arrived. The determination was made that a resident was using a stove and that there was a “cooking error,” Tupper said. Smoke filled the apartment and spilled into an adjacent common area.

Mutual aid departments were cancelled while en route to the scene. Residents were evacuated while firefighters ventilated the space.

Tupper reminded residents that the proper thing to do when reporting a fire is to call 911 and get out of the building to a safe space. If it’s cold outside, find another structure or vehicle away from the fire itself.

No injuries were reported. Tupper said about six Ellsworth firefighters responded to the call.

Kate Cough

Kate Cough

Digital Media Strategist
Kate is the paper's Digital Media Strategist, responsible for all things social, and the occasional story too! She's a former reporter for the paper and can be reached at: [email protected]
Kate Cough

Latest posts by Kate Cough (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.