Waterfront

  • Belfast salmon farm moves forward

    Belfast salmon farm moves forward

    BELFAST — The prospect of land-based salmon farming becoming a reality in eastern Maine has taken another step forward. Last week, Nordic Aquafarms, which plans to grow up to 33,000 tons of Atlantic salmon annually in a recirculating aquaculture facility it will build in Belfast, announced that it has its first U.S. employees. Last month,

  • Home regatta caps high school sailing season

    Home regatta caps high school sailing season

    SOUTHWEST HARBOR — Eight high school sailing teams gathered at the Mount Desert Island Community Sailing Center on Memorial Day weekend for the final event of the Maine scholastic sailing season. After a day of light air racing, the team from Camden finished at the top of the fleet. The MDI High School Trojans finished

  • NOAA forecasts active hurricane season

    NOAA forecasts active hurricane season

    ELLSWORTH — The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting a 75 percent chance of a near- or above-normal 2018 Atlantic hurricane season, the agency said last Thursday. Forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season and a 25 percent

  • Jonesport students get introduction to Atlantic salmon, then say goodbye

    Jonesport students get introduction to Atlantic salmon, then say goodbye

    COLUMBIA FALLS — A months-long experiment in environmental science came to fruition earlier this month. A group of Jonesport Elementary School kindergarten and pre-K students gathered at the Downeast Salmon Federation facility on the bank of the Pleasant River and released dozens of recently-hatched Atlantic salmon fry into the water. That introduction to the wild

  • Trawl limit plan divides lobstermen at hearing

    Trawl limit plan divides lobstermen at hearing

    ELLSWORTH – A Department of Marine Resources proposal to change the way some lobstermen fish in a large swath of water around Mount Desert Rock drew vocal opposition at a meeting in Ellsworth May 22 despite a unanimous vote in the Zone B Lobster Management Council. At issue is a proposal to limit the number

  • Illegal fishing drives early shutdown of elver fishery

    Illegal fishing drives early shutdown of elver fishery

    AUGUSTA — The Department of Marine Resources announced Wednesday, May 23, that it was closing the state’s lucrative elver fishing season two weeks early “because of illegal sales which jeopardize the department’s ability to manage the fishery.” The department used its emergency rulemaking authority to shut the season down. The elver fishing season was scheduled

  • Ellsworth native joins Whole Oceans staff

    Ellsworth native joins Whole Oceans staff

    BUCKSPORT — Ellsworth native Jennifer Fortier has been hired to serve as outreach and development associate for Whole Oceans, a company that plans to use a state-of-the-art recirculating aquaculture system to raise Atlantic salmon on the site of the former Verso mill. Whole Oceans executives have said the company intends to start construction on the

  • Park resources-boundary bill creeps forward in Senate

    ELLSWORTH — Resolution of the ongoing conflicts over the boundaries of Acadia National Park and the extent to which worm and shellfish diggers may continue to harvest resources from the flats along the park’s shorefront took a baby step forward last week. On Thursday, the U.S. Senate’s Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee on National Parks