DEER ISLE — An empty house caught fire off Sunset Cross Road shortly before 11 a.m. Thursday.
A neighbor saw fire coming from the second story and called for help.
“I saw smoldering right around the dormer,” said Meranda Smith. “It was a little fire. Sedgwick (Volunteer Fire Department) arrived and the whole upstairs was engulfed in flames. The house, it’s been falling apart for years.”
Deer Isle Fire Chief Brent Morey said the fire started in the attic, but it’s not certain how. The Maine fire marshal will investigate, Morey said.
Volunteer fire departments from Stonington, Blue Hill and Brooklin assisted in addition to Sedgwick and Deer Isle.
Today’s warm temperature, high 80s to 90, made fighting the fire a challenge.
“We went through crews pretty fast,” Morey said.
The property belongs to Calvin Cousins, the chief said. No one lived in the house, but it still had electricity.
The building is still intact, Morey said.