Two Dogs Perish In Bucksport Fire



PHOTO BY TERRY GRINDLE/BUCKSPORT FIRE DEPT.
Two dogs died Sunday in a house fire at 71 Jacob Buck Road in Bucksport.

BUCKSPORT — Two dogs died Sunday in a house fire on Jacob Buck Road. It was the first of two house fires in a seven-hour period.

The fire at 71 Jacob Buck Road broke out at 4:30 p.m. The couple who own the home were away at the time of the fire, but their two dogs perished.

The fire was called in by a passer-by. Firefighters knocked the blaze down within 10 minutes, according to Bucksport Fire Chief Craig Bowden.

The Orrington and Orland fire departments were called in to assist.

Most of the damage was contained to the living/kitchen areas, with heat damage throughout.

Bowden said it is possible the cause of the fire was a candle left unattended.

The second fire occurred at 11:30 p.m. at 142 School St. The residents, a couple and their two children, were woken by a smoke detector and were able to escape safely. Most of the damage was contained to the kitchen/dining room areas, Bowden said.

Within minutes of the Fire Department’s arrival, the fire was knocked down. The cause was determined to be improper disposal of smoking materials, the chief said.

Orland firefighters also were called in to assist. The Red Cross was notified of both fires. In both cases, the heat/smoke damage was extensive.

For more of the latest news, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American.

Amanda Greenberg

Former Ellsworth American reporter Amanda Greenberg joined the staff in October 2012 after graduating from the University of Maine in Orono. Originally from Toronto, Ontario, Amanda moved to Maine when she was nine.