LAMOINE — A fire broke out at a home on the Shore Road Monday when residents attempted to thaw freezing pipes and started a fire inside the walls. The source of the fire was located behind a circuit breaker box.
“Something in that process got too hot and ignited the structure,” said Deputy Fire Chief Stu Marckoon.
Damage was limited as the residents “did the right thing. They got out of the house, they called 911 quickly,” Marckoon said.
The call came in at 12:52 p.m. The Trenton, Hancock and Ellsworth fire departments also responded.
The Bar Harbor Fire Department was on standby for Trenton, Sorrento/Sullivan was on standby for Hancock and Orland was on standby for Ellsworth.
The agencies from Trenton, Hancock, Lamoine and Ellsworth are mutual aid partners, Marckoon explained. They automatically respond to calls each town receives.
“The Fire Department did a really good job getting the fire out quick. It could have been a whole lot worse,” Marckoon said.
It is that time of year when frozen plumbing can be a reality.
“The first thing we recommend is getting a hold of a plumber, that would be the best choice,” Marckoon suggested for how to address frozen pipes.
Another option is to use a hairdryer, which can gradually thaw frozen pipes, he said.