Surry chimney fire quickly extinguished



SURRY — The Surry Fire Department responded to a small chimney fire on Newbury Neck Road Saturday, which was extinguished quickly, according to Fire Chief Richard Black. 

“We treat all chimney fires like structure fires,” the chief said. “So, we had Blue Hill, Ellsworth and Orland come just to be safe.”

Black said he isn’t sure what may have caused the fire. The property owner had the chimneys cleaned last fall, but she doesn’t use this particular chimney very often. Something might have built a nest inside, the chief surmised.

Firefighters spent about a half hour at the scene.

Jennifer Osborn

Jennifer Osborn

Reporter and columnist at The Ellsworth American
News Reporter Jennifer Osborn covers news and features on the Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle-Stonington. She welcomes tips and story ideas. She also writes the Gone Shopping column. Email Jennifer with your suggestions at [email protected] or call 667-2576.
Jennifer Osborn

Latest posts by Jennifer Osborn (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *