EAST BLUE HILL — Firefighters were called to an Ellingwood Road residence off the end of Curtis Cove Road Monday night at 11 p.m. to extinguish a fire that had started in the wood flooring underneath the fireplace, said Blue Hill Fire Chief Matt Dennison.
The homeowners called in the fire. No one was injured and except for smoke damage, the fire “didn’t really do a whole lot of damage,” said Dennison.
Nonetheless, crews were on scene for about three hours, leaving at 2 a.m.
Dennison explained that over time, especially in older houses, the wood planks underneath fireplaces eventually dry out from getting heated up all the time. The fireplace is brick, but the base is granite. “We had to cut some of the floor away,” Dennison said.
Fire departments from Sedgwick, Surry and Brooklin provided mutual aid.
“We ended up sending Surry back home after a few minutes,” the chief said. “We sent Brooklin back to our station for station coverage.”