GETTY IMAGES PHOTO

Quick response contains Surry fire



SURRY — A fire in the wee hours on March 2 at a residence that operates Creature Quarters started in a trash receptacle in a shed attached to the home, according to Surry Fire Chief Richard Black.

“We’ll never know the exact cause … but it started in the trash,” Black said.

The Atlantic Lane property sustained minimal water and fire damage, he said. “We hit it really quick. It was a very quick knockdown. Five hundred gallons of water to put the fire out.”

Creature Quarters provides boarding service as well as a day camp for dogs.

However, the owner was away on vacation so there were just four dogs on the property, Black said. An employee staying on site got all the animals out safely.

Firefighters from Ellsworth, Blue Hill and Orland provided the Surry Fire Department with mutual aid. Peninsula Ambulance was also on scene.

“Most everybody cleared around 5 a.m. or 5:30,” Black said.

The chief himself was there all day dealing with electricians and patching a vent hole in the roof that had to be cut for the fire response.

Jennifer Osborn

Jennifer Osborn

Reporter and columnist at The Ellsworth American
News Reporter Jennifer Osborn covers news and features on the Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle-Stonington. She welcomes tips and story ideas. She also writes the Gone Shopping column. Email Jennifer with your suggestions at [email protected] or call 667-2576.
Jennifer Osborn

Latest posts by Jennifer Osborn (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.