ELLSWORTH — Hancock County Republicans are organizing regional caucuses for the 2012 presidential election year.
Towns in Hancock County have been regionalized into six different geographic locations. Regionalization makes it easier for candidates to participate and secure signatures on petitions, provides Hancock County Republicans an opportunity to vote in a “straw” presidential primary poll and allows them to mingle with other Republicans.
The participants from the six county districts will participate in respective district caucus opening ceremonies and then representatives from the individual towns will meet in separate areas on site to conduct their own caucus.
Meeting activities will follow a prescribed agenda, and the written results will be reported to the Maine GOP headquarters. All announced candidates have been invited to attend.
Any resident of a town may attend the caucuses, but the resident must be a registered Republican to participate in voting during the caucus. The voter registrar from each town will be available to register residents one hour before the caucus begins. First-time voters can register as well. Those planning to attend a caucus should feel free to invite any friend, neighbor or family member.
The dates, times and locations for each town are listed as follows:
• Feb. 4, 10 a.m. at Sedgwick Elementary School: Blue Hill, Brooklin, Brooksville, Deer Isle, Penobscot, Sedgwick, Surry, Stonington.
• Feb. 4, 10 a.m. at Somesville Fire Station: Bar Harbor, Cranberry Isles, Mount Desert, Frenchboro, Swan’s Island, Tremont, Southwest Harbor.
• Feb. 11, 10 a.m. at G. Herbert Jewett School in Bucksport: Bucksport, Orland, Verona Island.
• Feb. 11, 1 p.m. at Ellsworth City Hall: Dedham, Ellsworth, Otis, Trenton.
• Feb. 18, 10 a.m. at Hancock Grammar School: Gouldsboro, Hancock, Lamoine, Waltham, Sorrento, Sullivan, Winter Harbor, Fletcher’s Landing.
• Feb, 18, 10 a.m. at Eastbrook municipal office: Aurora/Amherst, Eastbrook, Franklin, Mariaville, Osborn.
Refreshments will be served at the caucuses, and all caucus locations have ample parking.
For additional information, contact Glyneta B. Thomson at (207) 664-0570 or [email protected].