BH Council Seat is Open to all



BAR HARBOR — The town council seat vacated by Matt Horton last month is now open to all comers.

Councilors decided Tuesday to invite all interested residents to submit an application for the seat, although they said they are unlikely to appoint someone who ran in the last town council election or plans to run in the next one.

Whoever is appointed to Mr. Horton’s seat will remain on the council only until June 2012, when the next regularly scheduled election will be held.

In recent years, councilors have typically dealt with an unexpected vacancy by filling the seat with a former town councilor whom they think would be able to manage the job. However, councilors Jane Disney, Bob Garland and Christopher Walsh argued successfully Tuesday that the seat should be open to all residents, not just former councilors.

“We shouldn’t overlook good candidates who have other kinds of civic experience and skills to bring to the table,” Ms. Disney said.

Councilors voted 6-0 to advertise the open seat and invite applications, setting a deadline of Oct. 13 at 5 p.m. They will likely take up review of the applications at their Oct. 18 meeting, and likely in executive session.

For more political news, pick up a copy of the Mount Desert Islander.

Robert Levin

Robert Levin

Former reporter Robert Levin covered the people, businesses, governmental and nonprofit agencies of Bar Harbor. [email protected]