Orland couple put out kitchen fire with sink sprayer



ORLAND — Quick thinking by a Bridges Way couple Wednesday night helped them to put out a fire that started in their toaster oven and spread to a kitchen wall.

The couple used a sink sprayer to douse the flames, which had melted a nearby fire extinguisher, according to Orland Fire Chief Bob Conary.

Bridges Way is off the Back Ridge Road. The fire broke out around 9 p.m.

“It was a last resort before dispatch got them out of the building,” Conary said. “We got there to a bunch of smoke and some burn damage.”

“They were outside and heard the smoke detectors going off,” Conary said. They went into the residence and saw the fire.

The fire extinguishers were stored near the kitchen appliances, so one extinguisher actually melted onto the toaster oven, the chief said.

The house had damage to a wall and some cabinets but is still livable.

“We ventilated the house and used the fan to dry the kitchen,” said Conary.

The Penobscot and Bucksport fire departments provided help. A crew from the Ellsworth Fire Department started to head to the scene, but they were advised they weren’t needed after all.

Jennifer Osborn

Jennifer Osborn

Reporter and columnist at The Ellsworth American
News Reporter Jennifer Osborn covers news and features on the Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle-Stonington. She welcomes tips and story ideas. She also writes the Gone Shopping column. Email Jennifer with your suggestions at [email protected] or call 667-2576.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *