HANCOCK – A Mud Creek Road home was heavily damaged Friday night after a fire that started in the garage spread into the adjacent home.
The fire was reported at 6:16 p.m. Friday after a passerby spotted smoke and flames coming from the garage at 182 Mud Creek Road, according to Hancock Fire Department Chief Chris Holmes. No one was home at the time and there were no pets.
Holmes said the fire spread from the garage to the exterior of the home and up into the ceiling.
“It burned the roof off, basically,” he said. There was extensive damage to the third floor and less but still significant damage to the first and second floors. The garage was leveled.
The home is owned by David Leeman.
A challenge in fighting the fire initially was getting enough water to the home, which is set a distance from the main road.
Firefighters ran about 800 feet of 4-inch line to reach the fire.
There was no indication of how the blaze may have started, according to the chief.
Fire departments from Hancock, Sullivan, Sorrento, Franklin, Gouldsboro, Winter Harbor, Lamoine, Trenton and Ellsworth responded. Northern Light Medical Transport stood by, but there were no injuries. The Bar Harbor, Eastbrook and Orland fire departments provided station coverage for departments that were busy with the fire.
Firefighters were on scene until 11:20 p.m. Friday night. They responded again at about 5:30 Saturday morning when the fire briefly rekindled.
Holmes said that while the damage is significant, the home is still standing and some of the contents are salvageable. He extended “a big thank you” to all the firefighters who responded.