—EARL BRECHLIN

Grill Fire Gets Out Of Hand



Bar Harbor firefighters surveyed the damage after a propane grill set too close to a wall burned the exterior of a home on Shannon Road on Tuesday afternoon.

—EARL BRECHLIN
—EARL BRECHLIN
Flames ignited vinyl siding and burned up 20-feet of wall, melted soffit panels away, and ignited wood in an attic space above the duplex unit. Leaves and other yard debris beneath the deck also went up in flames. Crews had the flames out within minutes of arrival. They used thermal imaging cameras to check the attic space as smoke continued to pour out from the eaves for nearly a hour. Firefighters also pulled insulation out of the attic to make sure the fire was completely out. No one was home in the attached unit. Firefighters were forced to break their way in through the front door to gain access to be sure the flames had not spread. No one was injured in the blaze. No damage estimate was available.

Fire Chief David Rand said the incident is a good reminder not to put grills and other cooking appliances on enclosed decks or too close to flammable surfaces.

Nicole Ouellette

Nicole Ouellette

When Nicole isn't giving advice she's completely unqualified to give, she runs an Internet marketing company in Bar Harbor, where she lives with her husband Derrick and their short dog Gidget. She loves young adult novels, cooking and talking French to anyone who'll talk back. [email protected]