BUCKSPORT — An out-of-control grass fire burned two acres off Millvale Road Sunday afternoon, destroying seven or eight snowmobiles and a greenhouse, according to Fire Chief Craig Bowden. A condemned house and shed on the lot were threatened by the flames but firefighters checked the blaze before they could be damaged.
The property is owned by the HOME Co-op. Russell Field, 44, a tenant on an adjacent HOME property was summoned on a charge of failing to comply with the conditions of his burn permit, according to Bucksport Police Sgt. David Winchester.
The Orland Fire Department and Maine Forest Service assisted at the scene.
Earlier Sunday, Ellsworth firefighters were called to a small grass fire off Red Bridge Road caused by sparks created as a man cut metal. The man called the Fire Department and the fire was contained to a 20-by-15-foot patch.
Due to windy conditions Sunday, the Ellsworth Fire department ceased issuing burn permits.