GOULDSBORO — An investigator with the state Fire Marshal’s Office was expected earlier this week at Gouldsboro Point to examine the remains of a Nov. 12 fire that destroyed a colonial-era Cape, which was in the process of being restored by a Massachusetts family.
The owner’s son reported the fire after he and another person arrived late last Wednesday night to stay and do further work on the historic clapboard house. No one was injured.
Property owner Richard Sherman of Sandwich, Mass., told The American that his son and another person were unpacking and preparing to stay overnight in a first-floor wing when the son spotted smoke coming through a door leading to the rest of the house. He reported the fire at 2:15 a.m. The fire rapidly spread and engulfed the rest of the wood-frame dwelling sitting atop a hill that descends to the head of Gouldsboro Bay. Firefighters responding from seven towns were able to save the two-bay garage area, but much of the structure is gone.
Gouldsboro Fire Chief Tate McLean said he did not know what triggered the fire, but an electrical malfunction is likely among the possible causes to be considered. He said firefighters from Gouldsboro, Steuben, Winter Harbor, Sullivan, Sorrento and Hancock helped contain and put out the fire in the wooded area. Gouldsboro Emergency Medical Services and Northern Light Medical Transport and Emergency Care also responded. The Lamoine Fire Department was on stand-by.
Sherman said he and his family intend to rebuild the house. He acquired the 23-acre property last April. The deteriorated house had been reroofed, some windows refurbished and other immediate work done to stabilize the aged structure. The house previously was owned by Robin Aston. Her late father, Col. David T. Aston, lived there for many years following a distinguished military career during which he served in three wars. The residence also is known for having been inhabited by a sea captain, Joseph Haraden.