FRANKLIN — A house fire Christmas morning in which three cats were killed is being investigated by the State Fire Marshal’s Office in Bangor.
Sgt. Tim York said the fire marshal was alerted by Franklin Fire Chief Bob Grindle.
York would only say that the fire is under investigation.
Grindle said it was apparent the fire started in the kitchen of the Route 182 home.
“But I couldn’t tell what ignited it,” he said Jan. 3. “It didn’t look right.”
Thirty firefighters from Franklin, Hancock, Sullivan, Sorrento and Eastbrook left their families Christmas morning to help put out the blaze, which caused interior fire, water and smoke damage.
Grindle said the house is rented by the owner and is currently unoccupied.
“Someone was evicted and the owner was there cleaning the house and getting ready to rent it,” he said. “Three cats were killed in the fire.”
He said the owner was elsewhere at the time of the blaze.
Grindle said he and his family were just about to sit down to Christmas breakfast when the alarm sounded at 9:55 a.m.
He, his wife, Becky, and sons Stephan and Billy left the table and hurried to the fire.
Grindle said firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen and dining area.
The house has five rooms, a breezeway with two additional rooms and a two-car attached garage.
Grindle said an investigator from the State Fire Marshal’s Office was on site for two days.
“Yes, that long is unusual,” he said. “He must have found something.”