DEDHAM — A brush fire was quickly doused Tuesday afternoon as three local fire departments responded to a call at 242 Green Lake Road.
The fire was reported around 1:45 p.m. Crews from the Dedham, Lucerne and Ellsworth fire departments responded.
The firefighters wetted down the surface of a gravel pit that was the location of a weekend permitted burn. Fire officials believe the fire was started after some still smoldering embers were blown from the pile into the nearby brush. The Dedham Fire Department authorized David E. Hamilton Construction a permit for a construction burn last weekend.
After employees discovered the nearby brush in flames Tuesday, they attempted to extinguish it with the company’s heavy equipment. The construction crew couldn’t contain the fire and called for assistance. Fire officials reported the fire burned between one-eighth and one-quarter of an acre.
Despite the recent wet conditions, fire officials believed the previous few days of warm weather coupled with the breezy conditions resulted in the unexpected fire.
“Even with all the rain it’s still very dry,” said Dedham Fire Department Lt. Hartley Webb. “It didn’t take much for the fire to get away from them with the woods so close. It just snuck up on them and they couldn’t control it with their heavy equipment.”
Webb said the blaze was under control within 30 minutes of the crews’ arrival and there was no personal or property damage.