TRENTON — Officials say a fire at a home at 1172 Bar Harbor Road started as a grease fire in the kitchen that spread to the rest of the home Wednesday afternoon, extensively damaging the house and tying up traffic into and off Mount Desert Island for hours.
Firefighters from Trenton, Ellsworth, Lamoine and Hancock battled the blaze that was called in around 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Officials had to temporarily shut down part of the road near the Trenton-MDI bridge causing some major traffic delays. The house is off Route 3 near the Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport.
No one was injured in the blaze. A family cat was safely located later that night.