Robert Levin

Fast Fire Damages Bar Harbor Home



Robert Levin
Bar Harbor firefighters attempt to create a hole to ventilate smoke during a fire at 52 Eagle Lake Rd. in Bar Harbor on Tuesday morning.

BAR HARBOR — A mid-morning fire on the upper floor of an Eagle Lake Road home Tuesday was extinguished by firefighters within a half hour. No injuries occurred during the blaze, which appears to have been sparked just after the last of the home’s occupants had left for the day.

Hatsana Phanthavong, owner of downtown restaurants The Hot Spot and Siam Orchid, lives in the house with five of his employees, he said. The house is located just outside of the downtown area, between Pine Street and Woodbury Road.

Flames were shooting out of the roof of the house and smoke was pouring from the eaves when firefighters arrived at about 10 a.m. A quick response kept the blaze to the roof and second floor, although smoke damage to the house appears to be widespread.

For additional coverage, pick up a copy of this week’s Mount Desert Islander, on newsstands Wednesday afternoon.

{youtube}QrT-hDPFs0o{/youtube}
For more of the latest news, pick up a copy of the Mount Desert Islander.

Robert Levin

Robert Levin

Former reporter Robert Levin covered the people, businesses, governmental and nonprofit agencies of Bar Harbor. [email protected]