Family displaced by Christmas chimney fire

BROOKSVILLE — Firefighters were called to a chimney fire at a Town House Road residence on Christmas Day.

Brooksville Fire Chief Matt Dow said “it was almost a structure fire, almost. There were a few timbers around the edges of the chimney that burned.”

Dow said he isn’t sure how the fire started.

“I’m assuming it was something to do with the Christmas wrapping paper,” he said. “The chimney got too hot.” 

Departments from Sedgwick and Blue Hill provided mutual aid. Brooklin and Deer Isle crews were on standby. 

The couple who own the home, Dennis and Janet Lymburner, are staying with family until the chimney is repaired.

“I had to condemn the chimney because it had too much heat damage,” Dow said. “I really hated to do that on Christmas Day, but it’s a safety issue.”

Crews were on scene for nearly four hours. The call for help came around 1 p.m.

“It’s well worth it, at this point, to double-check your chimneys and make sure they’re clean,” said Dow.

Jennifer Osborn

Jennifer Osborn

Reporter and columnist at The Ellsworth American
News Reporter Jennifer Osborn covers news and features on the Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle-Stonington. She welcomes tips and story ideas. She also writes the Gone Shopping column. Email Jennifer with your suggestions at [email protected] or call 667-2576.
Jennifer Osborn

Latest posts by Jennifer Osborn (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.