ELLSWORTH — A Hancock County grand jury indicted an Eastbrook man on a charge of manslaughter Feb. 6 in connection with the death of a young woman last fall in Ellsworth.
Jaret Patten, 23, also was indicted on charges of violating conditions of release and unlawful drug furnishing.
Ellsworth police were called to a Shore Road home Oct. 25 after 22-year-old Jessica Kane was found “unresponsive,” stated Ellsworth Police Detective Chris Smith.
Patten eventually told police that he supplied Kane and another roommate with OxyContin pills he had stolen from a family member.
“Patten told us they used all of his Oxys, either 12 or 13 of them, by snorting them and smoking them,” the detective said.
“It appears that the high dosage of OxyContin, combined with alcohol, led to the death of Jessica Kane,” Smith said.
Patten’s bail was set at $50,000 cash after his arrest on Oct. 28. He is still incarcerated at the Hancock County Jail.
Ellsworth attorney Robert Van Horn represents Patten.
The grand jury also indicted the following:
- Jacob W. Britton, 18, Ellsworth, aggravated operating after habitual offender revocation, operating after revocation, criminal operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of an intoxicant, operating beyond license restriction, operating without a license Nov. 13 in Ellsworth.
- Alexander Dmitrieff, 23, Mount Desert, burglary, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer, violating conditions of release Nov. 9 in Mount Desert; two counts burglary and one count each criminal trespass, criminal mischief, burglary of a motor vehicle and theft by unauthorized taking or transfer Oct. 24 in Bar Harbor.
- Delwin Faulkingham, 50, of Trenton, two counts domestic violence assault Oct. 21 and Oct. 23 in Trenton.
- Lewis Fitzsimmons, 48, Lubec, three counts aggravated drug trafficking, one count unlawful drug trafficking, three counts unlawful possession of drugs and one count each criminal forfeiture and operating after suspension Nov. 9 in Ellsworth.
- Steven P. Gray, 64, Trenton, aggravated assault, domestic violence assault, domestic violence reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon Oct. 21 in Trenton.
- Elizabeth A. Grindle, 35, Blue Hill, two counts aggravated drug trafficking, one count unlawful drug trafficking and three counts unlawful drug possession Aug. 17 in Bucksport.
- James K. Hall, 29, Waltham, unlawful drug trafficking April 9 in Ellsworth.
- Richard P. Jervis, 39, West Palm Beach, Fla., burglary and theft by unauthorized taking or transfer Nov. 4 in Bar Harbor.
- Tracy L. Kafka, 46, Milbridge, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer May 4 in Ellsworth.
- Dean P. Langton, 51, Addison, attempted insurance deception and making a false public report Aug. 20, 2018, in Hancock.
- Margaret McIninch, 45, Orland, theft by deception, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer, misuse of public benefits instrument Nov. 22, 2018-Dec. 27, 2018, in Bucksport and Orland.
- Alexander Messmore, 27, Southwest Harbor, aggravated assault, two counts domestic violence assault and obstructing the report of a crime Dec. 4 in Southwest Harbor.
- Richard Musson, 57, Clifton, one count reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon and five counts disorderly conduct June 23, July 3, July 5, July 7, July 9 and July 10 in Great Pond.
- Samantha Polchies, 31, Sullivan, two counts unlawful drug possession July 15 in Hancock.
- Bradford Rice, 47, Stonington, domestic violence assault and endangering the welfare of a child Nov. 9 in Stonington.
- Richard Van Shirey, 46, Mocksville, N.C., eight counts of possession of a firearm by a prohibited person and one count each hunting an antlerless deer without a permit and hunting on Sunday Nov. 8, 2014, Nov. 2, 2015, Nov. 6, 8 and 23 of 2016 in Township 34, 39 and 40.
- William H. Smeal, 33, Ellsworth, two counts violating conditions of release May 22 in Ellsworth.
- Shannon M. Smith, 49, Hancock, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and unlawful drug possession July 7 in Ellsworth.
- Shelby L. Tapley, 24, Waldo, one count each aggravated drug trafficking, unlawful drug trafficking and illegal possession of hypodermics and two counts unlawful drug possession Aug. 9 in Verona Island.
- Aza J. Vasylyk, 56, Bucksport, two counts of arson Nov. 11 in Bucksport.
- Jennifer Wallace, 38, Lubec, three counts each aggravated drug trafficking and unlawful drug possession and one count each unlawful drug trafficking and criminal forfeiture Nov. 9 in Ellsworth.
- James Winchester, 48, Bucksport, reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon and assault Sept. 6 in Bucksport.
- Gardner R. Zanke, 47, Deer Isle, two counts aggravated assault and one count each domestic violence assault and endangering the welfare of a child Aug. 21 in Deer Isle.