MDI Police: Hitchhiking Seagull Causes Crash

BAR HARBOR — An attempt to do a good deed went horribly wrong for a Trenton man on Sept. 17.


Steven Bunker, 17, was driving in his 1995 GMC pickup when he noticed an injured seagull on the road. He picked up the bird and took it into the truck, and was driving down Route 102 toward the Acadia Wildlife Center in Town Hill when the bird sprang back into action and began flying around the cab of the truck, according to reports. The activity caused Mr. Bunker to become distracted and lose control of the vehicle, which slammed into a utility pole, snapping the pole in half. The truck came to rest in a ditch beside a large tree, police said, and was estimated to have sustained $1,500 in damage. Mr. Bunker was not injured.

A Bar Harbor man remained in serious condition this week after crashing his motorcycle on Saturday. Jeff Broad, 48, was traveling on Eden Street when he lost control of his 2007 Yamaha motorcycle and slid into a 2006 Subaru driven by Mary Thurlow, 43, of Southwest Harbor. Mr. Broad suffered from a ruptured spleen, four broken ribs, and a broken bone in his back during the accident, according to reports. He was taken by LifeFlight helicopter to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, where he was listed in serious condition as of Tuesday. Damage estimates to the vehicles were not available as of press time.

Jonathan G. D’Haiti, 20, of Newburgh, was arrested Tuesday on a charge of operating after suspension on Paradise Hill Road.

Jeffrey Walls, 44, of Otter Creek, was arrested Sept. 16 on a charge of operating while under the influence (OUI) on Route 3.

A pair of black shoes, along with a pair of socks, were found in the back of a taxi on Sunday.

Jeremy Danforth, 18, of Trenton, was summonsed Saturday on a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Rupununi Bar and Grill on Main Street, owned by Michael Boland, was summonsed Sunday on a charge of violating the town’s special amusement rules for having amplified music on the patio.

Jason W. Ivey, 25, of Hancock, was summonsed Sept. 17 on a charge of operating without a license on Cottage Street.

An 82-year-old Florida man was warned to stay away from all Blue Nose properties after acting in a disruptive manner at the Looking Glass Restaurant on Sunday.

Angel Hernandez Mora, 50, of Spain, was summonsed Sept. 16 on a charge of passing a school bus with flashing lights on Main Street.

Officers searched for and found a woman who had jumped out of a taxi without paying a $40 fare on Sept. 17.

Paul A. Peterson, 32, of Boston, Mass., was summonsed Sept. 15 on a charge of speeding on Route 3.

A small grass fire on Route 3 on Sept. 15 was set off by faulty wiring to a spotlight, and was quickly doused.

A loose chicken was reported on Des Isle Avenue on Monday.

A woman reported that $700 was stolen from her car console on Saturday night. A bicycle was reported stolen from a house on Edgewood Street on Sunday. A man reported Saturday that his suit coat, containing a credit card and identification in a pocket, was stolen from a Main Street bar.

Police received a report of a rock reported thrown through the window of a vehicle on Kennebec Street on Sept. 16.

Mount Desert

An Otter Creek resident was arrested on a drunk driving charge following a single-vehicle crash Monday morning on Peabody Drive in Northeast Harbor.

Edwin Peake III, 43, was eastbound in a 1985 Ford pickup when the vehicle hit a rock ledge on the opposite side of the road and rolled over. Mr. Peake reportedly told police the steering on the truck failed. He was arrested on a charge of OUI and taken to the Bar Harbor Police Department, where he later made bail.

The truck is considered a total loss.

An object caught in the power lines near a home in Northeast Harbor on Sunday turned out to be a small weather balloon released by the National Weather Service in Gray. A crew from Bangor Hydro-Electric Company freed the balloon and turned it over to police, who plan to send it to the weather service inside a mailing envelope that came with it.

A single-vehicle accident Sept. 16 in Seal Harbor caused $5,000 of damage to a 2008 GMC pickup driven by an Otter Creek man.

Harry Triplett, 85, was pulling the truck onto Route 3 from a parking lot when he accelerated to avoid an oncoming car, police said. Mr. Triplett lost control of the truck, which crossed the road and struck several trees.

A small boat that sank in Northeast Harbor Sept. 15 was recovered, along with its outboard motor.

Southwest Harbor

Two sisters were arrested here on separate charges within days of each other.

On Sept. 17, Adrienne Carter, 22, of Southwest Harbor was arrested on charges of operating after suspension and violating her bail conditions.

Her sister, Brittany Carter, 23, also of Southwest Harbor was arrested Monday on warrants charging her with unpaid fines, police said.

Wesley Dickman, 39, of Lake Toxaway, N.C. was summonsed Monday on a speeding charge.

Police received a report Sunday from a fisherman who said the line holding two crates containing about 80 pounds of lobster had been cut. The incident occurred some time between Sept. 12 and Sept. 17.

Three flags were stolen from the Causeway Club Golf Course some time Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Glendon Stanley, 49, of Tremont was summonsed Sept. 15 on a charge of speeding.


Traffic was tied up following a Sept. 16 three-vehicle collision on the Trenton Bridge.

A 2008 Ford pickup driven by Frederick Martin, 48, of Bangor struck the rear end of a 1998 Jeep that had stopped in traffic. The Jeep, driven by Lance Downs, 33, of Brooks, was pushed into a 2008 Toyota driven by Robert Terwilliger, 24, of Franklin. No serious injuries were reported.

Damage to the Ford is estimated at $9,000 and $8,000 for the Toyota. The Jeep is considered a total loss.

On the previous day, Sept. 15, a driver who police said fell asleep at the wheel crossed the centerline of Route 3 and struck an oncoming vehicle.

Gerard Haraden, 81, of Mount Desert was southbound in a 2003 Toyota when his car collided with a 1997 Dodge driven by Robert Landers, 63, of Ellabell, Ga.

Damage estimated at $6,000 for the Toyota and at $5,000 for the Dodge.


A father reported that his 13-year-old daughter has been receiving “disturbing” text messages from a Tennessee man who she met online. The texter was warned by police to have no further contact with the girl.

For more police & court news, pick up a copy of the Mount Desert Islander.




This post is from the archives of The Ellsworth American, Mount Desert Islander and

Latest posts by archived (see all)