Man in armed standoff sentenced

Alan “A.J.” Walton

ELLSWORTH — A man who led police on a manhunt from Mount Desert Island to an armed standoff in Prospect Harbor last June was sentenced Tuesday.

Alan “A.J.” Walton, 33, of Seal Harbor had pleaded guilty to several charges including eluding an officer, reckless conduct and criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon.

Justice Bruce Mallonee sentenced Walton to 24 months in jail with credit for time served. Mallonee ordered two years of probation upon Walton’s release.

Walton had also pleaded guilty to theft by unauthorized use of property, refusal to submit to arrest or detention, criminal threatening, driving to endanger, speeding, operating after suspension and violating conditions of releases.

For those offenses, Mallonee ordered Walton to serve six months concurrent to the two-year sentence.

The incident in question involved an armed Walton barricading himself inside a house, according to Gouldsboro Police Chief Tyler Dunbar.

Numerous police agencies including the Winter Harbor Police, Hancock County Sheriff’s deputies, the Maine Warden Service, the Maine Marine Patrol and the Maine State Police Tactical Team assisted the Gouldsboro department.

Authorities had to block off Main Street in Prospect Harbor as police attempted to defuse the situation.

Law enforcement agents evacuated nearby homes and tried to contact Walton via telephone and public address system, but Walton made no move to surrender.

At some point, Walton attempted to flee the residence but turned back after spotting officers on the perimeter, Maine State Police Sgt. Jason Sattler said.

“About five minutes later, he was seen in an upstairs window with a long gun,” Sattler said. The weapon later was identified as a bolt-action rifle.

Walton then made a threatening gesture toward some of the officers.

“He pointed the gun at them,” Sattler said. “He was shot at three times.”

A member of the Warden Service fired the shots, Sattler said. Officers were unsure if Walton had been hit, but he later responded to police calling to him over the public address system.

Against police orders, Walton’s mother, 54-year-old Theresa Hanson, slipped into the house in an attempt to urge Walton to give himself up to authorities. The two exited the residence together, and Walton surrendered to police.

Jennifer Osborn

Jennifer Osborn

Reporter and columnist at The Ellsworth American
News Reporter Jennifer Osborn covers news and features on the Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle-Stonington. She welcomes tips and story ideas. She also writes the Gone Shopping column. Email Jennifer with your suggestions at [email protected] or call 667-2576.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.