ELLSWORTH — A Machias man who allegedly set fire to an Indian Township food pantry, tied up a Washington County woman and stole her truck before leading police on a chase into Trenton was indicted Oct. 10 by a Hancock County grand jury.
James Berube, 21, was indicted on charges of reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, eluding an officer, driving to endanger, operating without a license, criminal speed and refusing to submit to arrest or detention in Ellsworth and Trenton.
The June 9 pursuit ended in Trenton at gunpoint at Dysart’s Moose Crossing Store, according to Maine State Police spokesman Steve McCausland.
Maine State Police Cpl. Dan Ryan and Fire Marshal’s Office Sgt. Joel Davis arrested Berube.
Berube faces further charges in Washington County. District Attorney Matt Foster said Berube’s charges in Washington County are pre-indictment. A Washington County grand jury is scheduled to convene Nov. 13.
Ellsworth attorney Jeffrey Toothaker represents Berube.
The Hancock County grand jury also indicted the following others:
- Roger D. Brown III, 27, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and misuse of identification Aug. 29, 2017, and Feb. 14, 2019, in Ellsworth.
- Graydon Dobbs, 22, Bar Harbor, burglary, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and criminal mischief April 15 in Bar Harbor.
- Rachel Dwyer, 46, Sullivan, unlawful drug trafficking April 4 in Sullivan.
- Autumn Halker, 30, Hancock, criminal operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of an intoxicant, endangering the welfare of a child, operating after suspension June 8 in Hancock.
- Don W. Hanson Jr., 38, Thomaston, escape, violating conditions of his release and failure to appear June 20 in Ellsworth.
- Jordan Harrington, 22, Warwick, R.I., aggravated criminal mischief and filing a false public report March 10 in Bar Harbor.
- Sarah Jordan, 28, Ellsworth, two counts theft by unauthorized taking or transfer Jan. 18 in Ellsworth.
- Mandy Kane, 39, Addison, aggravated criminal mischief, criminal OUI, driving to endanger, leaving the scene of a property damage accident, failure to report an accident April 20 in Ellsworth.
- Richard Lowder, 49, Lubec, burglary, theft by deception, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer, criminal trespass Sept. 18 in Ellsworth; burglary, theft by deception, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and criminal trespass Aug. 31 in Ellsworth; burglary, attempted theft by deception, operating without a license, operating an unregistered motor vehicle and criminal trespass Sept. 21 in Ellsworth.
- Matthew Meserve, 24, Lamoine, reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, criminal mischief, driving to endanger, leaving the scene of a property damage accident and failure to report an accident March 9 in Waltham.
- Jazman Nash, 30, Ellsworth, aggravated forgery, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and failure to give correct name or address Dec. 17, 2017, in Ellsworth.
- Jonathan Parkinson, 24, Bar Harbor, one count each aggravated drug trafficking and criminal forfeiture, two counts each unlawful drug trafficking and three counts unlawful drug possession July 11 and July 13 in Bar Harbor.
- Melissa Pete, 40, Prospect Harbor, three counts unlawful drug possession and one count unlawful use of a license June 5 in Ellsworth.
- William Pressey, 66, Bucksport, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon June 19 in Bucksport.
- Rooney Nevada, 18, Ellsworth, aggravated cruelty to animals July 4 in Orland.
- Dylan Norwood, 24, Ellsworth, operating after revocation July 7 in Ellsworth.
- William Smeal, 33, Ellsworth, two counts violating conditions of his release May 13 in Ellsworth; two counts violating conditions of his release May 17 in Ellsworth.
- Joshua Van Dine, 39, Thomaston, four counts each burglary and theft by unauthorized taking or transfer Dec. 12, 2017, in Ellsworth.