ELLSWORTH — A Hancock County grand jury Aug. 9 indicted an Orland man who is accused of raping an intellectually disabled woman.
The grand jury indicted Van Stevens, 49, on two counts of gross sexual assault. The assaults are alleged to have occurred on Feb. 27 in Stonington, according to the indictment.
The alleged victim rode a bus that Stevens had been driving for a social service agency, according to a copy of an arrest warrant affidavit written by the investigating officer, Trooper David Barnard.
The woman’s mother was alerted that something was wrong when Stevens allegedly arrived at the family’s residence March 10 to take her daughter on a trip to Bangor in his personal vehicle, the warrant stated.
The grand jury also indicted the following 15 others:
- Roxie E. Albie, 41, Harrington, aggravated drug trafficking and unlawful drug trafficking March 2 in Gouldsboro.
- Jennifer L. Atwood, 38, Stockton Springs, one count theft on March 18 in Bucksport; one count theft Dec. 18, 2017 in Ellsworth.
- Deannie M. Bragdon, 47, Bangor, theft and negotiating a worthless instrument Sept. 15-21, 2017, in Ellsworth.
- Melissa A. Brooks, 39, Ellsworth, burglary and theft in Hancock.
- Justin S. Bunker, 25, Cranberry Isles, burglary, theft, criminal trespass and criminal mischief Jan. 8 in Cranberry Isles.
- Codey Chandler, 28, Sullivan, aggravated forgery, failure to give correct name, operating after suspension, improper plates Feb. 1 in Winter Harbor.
- Jay F. Esprit, 31, Orland, one count aggravated criminal mischief and two counts domestic violence criminal threatening May 10 in Orland.
- James T. Farley, 31, Ellsworth, terrorizing and disorderly conduct Jan. 19 in Southwest Harbor.
- Alonzo N. Harvey, 32, Frankfort, theft Nov. 21, 2017, and Nov. 24, 2017, in Ellsworth.
- Dawn M. James, 44, Fletchers Landing, theft April 16 in Ellsworth.
- Cole W. Kennedy, 33, Milbridge, one count each assault on an officer and assault, two counts each refusing to submit to arrest Feb. 9 in Gouldsboro.
- Craig D. Kneeland, 28, Bucksport, four counts unlawful drug possession June 14 in Bucksport; two counts aggravated operation of a methamphetamine laboratory and one count each arson, aggravated criminal mischief and violating conditions of release April 3 in Verona Island.
- Vincent Lombardi, 45, Bangor, two counts theft June 20 in Ellsworth; one count each operating after revocation and violating conditions of release April 14 in Ellsworth.
- Susan M. Ruffner, 49, Gouldsboro, terrorizing with a dangerous weapon, violating conditions of release and domestic violence criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon April 18 in Gouldsboro.
- Robert W. Smith, 34, Sorrento, operating after revocation April 24 in Sullivan.