A fire that started with a clamp light claimed this Deer Isle garage on Monday, officials said. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY ASHLEY CARTER

Fire claims Deer Isle workshop



DEER ISLE Fire claimed a workshop on the North Deer Isle Road early Monday morning, according to Deer Isle Fire Chief Brent Morey.

The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that the fire started with a “clamp light,” the chief said. A clamp light is a lamp that attaches with a spring clamp. Morey said those lights are dangerous.

The homeowner, Josh Clough, lost a lot of equipment, including numerous coils of new rope, Morey said. “He lost a lot of gear. He lost a lot of traps.”

Firefighters were on scene for six hours. They were called to the scene at 6:20 a.m. and left around 12:30 p.m.

The Stonington and Sedgwick fire departments provided mutual aid. The Blue Hill Fire Department was on standby.

Jennifer Osborn

Jennifer Osborn

Reporter and columnist at The Ellsworth American
News Reporter Jennifer Osborn covers news and features on the Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle-Stonington. She welcomes tips and story ideas. She also writes the Gone Shopping column. Email Jennifer with your suggestions at [email protected] or call 667-2576.
Jennifer Osborn

Latest posts by Jennifer Osborn (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *