Deer Isle man sentenced to nine months for aggravated assault

Richard Bubar

ELLSWORTH — A Deer Isle man who pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in connection with a road rage incident in Sedgwick last July was ordered Monday to serve nine months in the Hancock County Jail.

Justice Robert Murray sentenced Richard Bubar, 44, in Hancock County Superior Court Monday.

The nine-month sentence was part of an agreed upon resolution between Bubar’s attorney, John Steed of Stonington, and Assistant District Attorney Heather Staples.

Aggravated assault is a Class B felony, which carries a potential 10-year prison sentence.

Before sentencing, Murray said, “this is conduct that cannot be ignored in any way.

“It’s clear that substance abuse issues continue to plague this defendant as well as those who come into contact with him,” Murray said.

After Murray issued the sentence, Bubar said, “thank you for the leniency.”

In addition, the judge sentenced Bubar to a concurrent nine-month sentence for charges stemming from a Feb. 8 incident in Sedgwick in which Bubar bit a Maine State Police trooper and punched a vehicle belonging to a volunteer firefighter.

That incident resulted in charges of assault and criminal mischief.

At least two of Bubar’s victims, a husband and wife, attended the hearing with Victim Witness Advocate Karen Brown. They did not speak.

“Whatever happened was totally out of character for me,” Bubar told the judge. “I don’t know these people.”

Bubar, clad in a short-sleeve orange jumpsuit and long-sleeve white T-shirt, turned to address the couple.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “That’s all I can say really. I’m not that kind of person.”

Murray asked Staples to review Bubar’s criminal history.

Bubar’s record, which began in 1997, includes disorderly conduct, three assaults, burglary and criminal mischief as well as a protection order violation.

However, there has been a 12-year gap between the early criminal record and the most recent crimes, according to Attorney Staples.

During the incident last summer, the state police said Bubar assaulted a couple and their two children on the Graytown Road in Sedgwick July 31.

Staples asked the judge to impose a restitution order totaling $7,780.98 for the assault.

Murray asked Staples the nature of the restitution.

“Medical and dental expenses,” Staples said.

The state also asked for $526.68 in restitution for repair of the firefighter’s vehicle.

The court ordered Bubar not to have any contact with his victims.

Murray also ordered Bubar to undergo anger management counseling as well as substance abuse treatment.

Jennifer Osborn

Jennifer Osborn

Reporter and columnist at The Ellsworth American
News Reporter Jennifer Osborn covers news and features on the Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle-Stonington. She welcomes tips and story ideas. She also writes the Gone Shopping column. Email Jennifer with your suggestions at [email protected] or call 667-2576.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *