BUCKSPORT — The Bucksport Police Department has been awarded a total of $10,000 in Maine Bureau of Highway Safety grants for details to combat speeding and distracted driving.
Deputy Police Chief David Winchester said Officer Gerald Lowe wrote the grant applications.
“We initially received $5,000 for each with the ability to ask for more at the end of 2021 and I’m anticipating that we will do that,” Winchester said. “We’re going to run the details until the end of next year.”
To that end, Lowe summoned several motorists after conducting a distracted driving detail on Nov. 12. The charges are as follows:
- Angel Lorom, 59, of Brunswick, operating after suspension.
- Matthew Carrier, 38, of Orland, operating a motor vehicle while using cellular device.
- Cameron Soper, 19, of Orland, texting while operating a motor vehicle.
- Brenda Kingsbury, 67, of Winterport, texting while operating a motor vehicle.
- Lauria Danforth, 46, of Orland, operating after suspension.
- William Comtois, 28, of Orland, operating a motor vehicle while using cellular device.
- Brandon Tracy, 25, of Bucksport, operating a motor vehicle while using cellular device.
On Nov. 13, Winchester conducted a speed detail. The highest speed the chief clocked was a motorist allegedly traveling 95 miles per hour in a 45-mph zone on Route 46. That speeding charge was issued to Alessandro Marotta, 21, of Lubec.
Others are as follows:
- Allen Hutchinson, 62, of Deer Isle, speeding.
- Darren Turner, 21, of Charlotte, failure to produce insurance.
- Tracy Green, 64, of Deer Isle, speeding.
Police are investigating an incident in which a window was smashed at the concession stand at the ballfield Nov. 7.
Officer Tyler Adams arrested Samuel Hafford, 23, of Dedham on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of an intoxicant Nov. 13.
Esther Shinn, 24, of Bangor was arrested on a warrant Nov. 7.
Megan Patten, 31, of Bucksport was arrested on a warrant Nov. 7.
Rachael Cotoni, 40, of Bucksport was summoned on a charge of speeding Nov. 9.
Officer Gerald Lowe summoned Michaela Hall, 26, of Montville on a charge of operating after suspension Nov. 9.