ELLSWORTH — A family was safe Friday morning after the vehicle they were traveling in caught fire.
Ellsworth Deputy Fire Chief Gary Saunders said the Jeep Cherokee was at First National Bank in front of the Maine Coast Mall when the driver noticed flames coming from the back of the vehicle.
That man managed to get the vehicle, which was towing a small, empty trailer, pulled over on the back side of the bank. He and his family got out safely, Saunders said, and another person at the scene had a fire extinguisher that was used to knock down the flames.
Two fire trucks and their crews arrived on scene and made sure hot spots were doused the fire was fully extinguished.
Saunders said a vehicle malfunction involving the Jeep’s exhaust system appears to have been the cause of the fire. Part of the vehicle’s rear bumper appeared to have melted.
The owner of the Jeep was making arrangements to have it towed following the fire.