FILE PHOTO

Play it safe when grilling



FILE PHOTO

BAR HARBOR — Fire department officials are urging residents and visitors to put safety first when planning summer BBQs.

The grill should be placed well away from the structure, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.

Children and pets should be kept away from the grill area. Keep the grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill. Never leave a grill unattended.

Charcoal grills have their own unique considerations. There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow users to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.

If using a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to a fire.

Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.

There are also electric charcoal starters. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.

After grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.

Flammable or combustible gas or liquid was the item first ignited in almost half of home outdoor grill fires.

Find in-depth coverage of local news in the Mount Desert Islander. Subscribe digitally or in print.

Fenceviewer Staff

Latest posts by Fenceviewer Staff (see all)