BLUE HILL — The Blue Hill Garden Club celebrated 75 years of community service at its annual meeting June 23.
Forty-four club members also looked ahead to the future during their gathering at the Blue Hill Country Club.
Club members also elected a new slate of officers. The president is Don Church, of Blue Hill Country Gardens, who hopes to enlist more men into the membership. On a historical note, in 1934, the first president of the club was Leon Chapman, one of 24 men on the charter member roster.
The other newly elected officers are vice presidents, Roxanne Donahey and Donna Dupuy, Secretary, Gigi Cutler and Treasurer Ute Eichenberg.
Rusty Roberts, the outgoing president, recounted the beautification projects the Garden Club has accomplished during the last decade. At the Town Hall, the club donated the brick apron and walkway, benches and annual plantings; at the Seaside Cemetery. The club gave the new section of wrought-iron fence and spearheaded the refurbishment of the old, leaning sections. At the Holt House, members provided new stone steps and the bronze statue of Molly Molasses by Jud Hartman. Lastly, they led the development of the Gordon Emerson Waterside Park on Water Street.
All the while, their ongoing projects continued: care of the triangle in the center of town and the annual planting and care of the flowers at the Town Hall and on the bridge.
Church presented Roberts with a painting by local artist Marian McMahon and a certificate of life membership in the club.
To a big round of applause, he thanked Roberts and the other outgoing officers, Barbara Seeger, vice president, Meg McVey, secretary, and Merry Newton, treasurer, for their hard work and leadership.