1916: 100 Years Ago
The firemen were called out on a still alarm yesterday afternoon for a fire at C.L. Morang’s garage. A pan of gasoline used in cleaning in the workshop caught fire, making a lively blaze. The fire was confined to the pan, and burned itself out. Damage to the extent of $50 or more was done by heat and smoke. The garage takes every precaution against fire, and a watchman is in the building nights. At the garage, work for the winter has begun on the manufacture of truck bodies. Increased space has been provided in the basement for this department, and new machinery installed, including a Universal wood-working machine. It is expected to have 15 men employed in this department during the winter. The garage already has many orders on hand for spring delivery.
Oliver, son of Rev. P.A.A. Killam and wife, of Oakland, formerly of Ellsworth, was seriously injured Sunday in an automobile accident at Oakland. A young man who was waiting at the church for his sister, the organist, took several of the boys who were waiting for Sunday school for a ride, among them Oliver, In turning a sharp corner the car was overturned. Young Killam was the only one injured, receiving a broken jaw and other injuries. Mrs. Killam, who was visiting in Ellsworth, was hastily summoned home.
Dr. Arthur L. Parcher has installed in his office a complete X-ray equipment.
Mrs. C.S. Johnston will, about November 15, open a moving-picture theatre on the second floor of the laundry building on State Street, which is being fitted up for the purpose. It will be a large airy hall, including what was before the fire two floors. The improvements will include an iron stairway on the north side of the building, to serve as exit.
Bar Harbor: Fred Hayes, of Bar Harbor, had a narrow escape Monday, when his thirty-five foot cabin cruiser caught fire from back-firing, while on the way from Bar Harbor to Winter Harbor. He was taken off by a boat which happened to be near. Mr. Hayes estimated his loss at $3,500; partially insured.
1966: 50 Years Ago
In 1916, H.C. Stratton purchased the former F.B. Aiken Store on State Street, now occupied by Curtis Shoe store.
Five years later they moved to Main Street, where Luchini’s Restaurant is located.
In 1926, Strattons purchased the building owned by C. L. Morang, which is their present location.
Like a majority of Ellsworth businesses Stratton’s Store was ravaged by fire in 1933 and they opened temporary quarters on Emergency Avenue, which was constructed on the Main Street lot that in recent years has been purchased by the publicity bureau.
In 1934, H.C. Stratton retired and turned the business over to his son, Hal Stratton. In 1939, Strattons purchased a store in Patten and three years later opened a store in Lincoln. These stores were operated until early this year when they were sold as Hal Stratton retired and turned the management over to his son Alan.
Strattons enlarged their selling space in 1957 when they acquired the T.C. Smith building and expanded their departments.
This week their big 50th anniversary sale is going on.
The Wee Women’s Club of the eighth grade girls at the Bryant E. Moore School, under the direction of Mrs. Margaret Riddell, held its first meeting. The officers elected were as follows: President, Jyl Vienot; Vice-President, Susan Anderson; Secretary, Maureen Meehan; Treasurer, Patty Morrison.
Mr. and Mrs. Hale Joy were guests of honor at a 25th wedding anniversary party at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Wendell Esterberg, Saturday evening, Oct. 15.
Among the gifts received by the couple was a money tree. Assisting with the serving were Miss Gail Esterberg, Miss Linda Joy and William Joy. Steven Joy was in charge of the guest book.
Sorrento: A break in the water main at the Town of Sorrento Saturday caused two schools to close and many of the residents to rely on spring water.
Sumner High School and the Sorrento Elementary School closed due to the loss of heat and toilet facilities. Sumner reopened on Tuesday while the elementary school remained closed until the break was repaired.
1991: 25 Years Ago
Avis Kane Harmon of Ellsworth and James Russell Wiggins, editor of The Ellsworth American, took top honors Saturday night in the second annual Ellsworth Area Chamber of Commerce Awards Night. Harmon was named Citizen of the Year and Wiggins was named Business Person of the Year in ceremonies held at the Grand Auditorium.
Harmon has served as past president and director of the Ellsworth Lioness Club, which gave her the Outstanding President Award for 1989 and 1990. She has also been the recipient of the Lioness of the Year Award and the Appreciation Award. She was given the “Woman of the Year Award” by the Ellsworth Business and Professional Women’s Club, which she has been a member for 10 years.
Wiggins, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and former editor of The Washington Post, was praised for his involvement in community service with his fundraising efforts for the Ellsworth Public Library and Down East Family YMCA.
Ellsworth High School’s Paul Farley collected his first boys’ cross-country title of the season and classmate Kerry Ackerman claimed her second consecutive girls’ title with a winning time of 19:52 during the Penobscot Valley Conference Championship held last Saturday at the University of Maine.
Farley beat out teammate Sam Brown by 11 seconds — running the three-mile course in 16:21. Brown finished second with a time of 16:32. The Eagle boys placed third overall.
Hancock County: More liquor is sold in Hancock County per capita than in any other in Maine, save one.
It ranks fifth among the 16 counties in drunken driving violations.
At the same time, though, Hancock County has the second lowest alcohol-related death rate in the state. And it ranks near the bottom of criminal violation of other liquor and drug laws.
Those were among the findings of a new statewide study directed by Dr. Robert Dana, a University of Maine expert on substance abuse issues.
2006: 10 Years Ago
Col. Craig A. Poulin, chief of the Maine State Police, swore in Chris Coleman, the new commanding officer of Troop J, at the troop’s office on Route 1A Oct. 3.
The new lieutenant replaces Peter Stewart, who retired last month to do private security work.
Coleman, 39, grew up in Bucksport. He has a degree in criminology from the University of Southern Maine.
Outgoing City Councilor Larry King was honored by the city with a plaque and a standing ovation in appreciation for his 30 years of service to Ellsworth on Monday at the regular council meeting.
King, a Bar Harbor native, began serving the city as a member of the Board of Appeals in 1976. He served until 1988 with two stints as chairman: 1978-1980 and 1984-1988.
In 1988, King was appointed to the Planning Board, which he served on until 1999, when he was elected to the City Council.
King served as Planning Board chairman from 1991 to 1999.
He led the Comprehensive Plan Committee from 1989 to 1992,
During his seven years on the council, King was chairman from 2003 to 2005.
King owns Associated Builders with his family.
Verona Island: The Penobscot Narrows Bridge walk is set for Saturday, Oct. 14. What began as a small celebration marking the pedestrian opening of the new bridge has turned into a daylong event for featuring music, parades, food, vendors and speeches by Maine’s most prominent leaders. The deck of the $84-million Penobscot Narrows Bridge will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Festivities kick off at 9:30 a.m. Speeches will be followed by musical performances, a boat parade and a Penobscot Nation smudge ceremony at 12:30 p.m. Fort Knox will be open free to the public on this day only and will showcase Civil War re-enactor units and the St. Andrews Bagpipe band.