ELLSWORTH — The Ellsworth Fire Department put out a brake fire on a tractor-trailer coming into town from Route 1A before the fire spread to the load of goods en route for delivery Wednesday morning.
“We took a report of a tractor-trailer on fire near the high school coming into town,” said Ellsworth Fire Department Lt. Gary Saunders.
The truck driver was not aware the truck was on fire. He was intercepted just before the stoplight at Main Street and High Street.
“The trailer brakes on the back overheated and caught fire,” Saunders said. “These brakes weren’t locked up and dragging, but they were locked up enough to catch the rear brakes on fire.”
Crews used compressed air foam to put out the fire. Compressed air foam has water, air and foam similar to dish detergent. This mixture makes the water supply last longer and it makes the hoses lighter, Saunders said.