MARIAVILLE — A family lost its home but no one was injured in a fire on the Old Hay Road in Mariaville on Saturday afternoon.
“Once we arrived on scene the fire was coming out most of the windows on the bottom windows,” said Mariaville Deputy Fire Chief Karen Murray. “Downstairs was fully engulfed and the upstairs was on fire as well.”
The department received a call around 2:15 p.m. Saturday that the electrical box had caught on fire, Murray said. One of the homeowners told Murray “that her grandson was in the living room and he heard a popping in the wall by the electrical panel.”
There were at least four people inside the house at the time, Murray said.
“They got everyone out of the house. They did exactly the right thing. They got out before anything got really bad.”
Departments from as far away as Orland and Aurora responded, including Ellsworth, Lamoine, Hancock, Waltham and Osborn, along with Northern Light Medical Transport, which checked out the home’s occupants and stayed on scene “to keep track of all of us,” Murray said.
“The house is a total loss,” Murray said. Struggling to put the fire out in the attic, Murray said, “we ended up having an excavator come and we knocked the roof down. That was the safest way for everybody there.”
Murray kept in contact with family members to let them know what was happening.
The couple are staying with their daughter, Murray said. The nonprofit Community Closet in Ellsworth has provided them with clothes and household goods.
Speaking from her office at The Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, the deputy fire chief praised the help from regional departments, but said that “it shows the need for volunteers. We had to have that many departments that far away to come so that we could have the manpower.”
Murray continued: “When you come into a situation like that with a structure fire you need as many people and as many hands as possible. We had super support from our mutual aid. I can’t say thank you enough to them.”