A quick response by area fire departments, including the Otis Fire Department, resulted in a blaze at the Otis General Store being extinguished before it could damage much of the building. PHOTO COURTESY OF KATHY COOK

Damage minimal in fire at Otis General Store

OTIS — Firefighters from several Hancock County towns responded to extinguish a blaze Wednesday at the Otis General Store.

Owner Mike Warren said a compressor for the soda cooler caught fire.

“It just blew and went up into the eaves,” Warren said.

The damage was limited to the ceiling of the dining and grocery area, but the store will be closed for the time being, Warren said. He said he isn’t sure when he will be able to reopen the store.

“It depends on how quickly all the authorities and the insurance company make their determination,” Warren said.

No one was injured.

Numerous departments responded.

Hancock Volunteer Fire Department went to the scene, as did the Ellsworth Fire Department. Trenton Fire Department also responded.

The Lamoine Fire Department and the Surry Fire Department stood by at Ellsworth.

The Sullivan/Sorrento and Franklin fire departments stood by for Hancock.

Jennifer Osborn

Jennifer Osborn

Reporter and columnist at The Ellsworth American
News Reporter Jennifer Osborn covers news and features on the Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle-Stonington. She welcomes tips and story ideas. She also writes the Gone Shopping column. Email Jennifer with your suggestions at [email protected] or call 667-2576.
Jennifer Osborn

Latest posts by Jennifer Osborn (see all)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.