Suspects Run but cannot Hide

BAR HARBOR — Two men were arrested in Ellsworth this weekend after allegedly running from the police here during two separate incidents.

Early Saturday, Jamie Brown, 31, of Sullivan, was riding in a car that was pulled over on Route 3 on Ireson Hill. As officer Chris Wharff was questioning the driver, Mr. Brown allegedly took off running into the woods behind Barton’s Motel. Despite a search with police dogs, Mr. Brown was able to escape.

A probation hold was put on Mr. Brown, and he was later arrested by officers with the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office on a traffic stop and taken to the county jail in Ellsworth. Mr. Brown also was summonsed on charges of violation of the conditions of his release, operating after suspension, and refusing to submit to arrest and detention.

The driver of the car that Mr. Brown was riding in when police first came into contact with him, Brittany High, 22, of Bar Harbor, was summonsed on a charge of hindering apprehension or prosecution.

In a second incident on Sunday, a man police had picked up for appearing intoxicated also allegedly took off running, only to be arrested by Ellsworth police officers later in the day.

According to reports, Lanny C. Winchester, 19, of Etna, was picked up along with a friend by Officer Thom Tardiff on West Street. Police then went with the pair to a party they’s been coming from on Rodick Street. As police entered the party to investigate, Mr. Winchester allegedly got out of the car and took off running, police say.

Mr. Winchester, who allegedly was intoxicated, then took off in his car on West Street, crashing into the curb and flattening a tire, police say. He made it past the Trenton Bridge before striking a car from behind, police say, and continuing on. Within the hour, Ellsworth police had Mr. Winchester pulled over at the intersection of Myrick Street and Route 3, where he was arrested on a charge of operating while under the influence (OUI). Mr. Winchester also was charged with possession of alcohol by a minor, possession of a useable amount of marijuana, leaving the scene of a property damage accident and driving to endanger.

While police were at the Rodick Street party, a man there became disruptive and allegedly pushed Officer Tardiff. Tristan A. Herbold, 19, of Bangor, was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct and summonsed on charges of assault on an officer, refusing to submit to arrest/detention and possession of alcohol by a minor.

Donald M. Mace, 26, of Bar Harbor, was arrested Aug. 17 on a charge of operating after suspension after getting into an accident on his 1999 Kawasaki motorcycle at the intersection of Glen Mary and Cromwell Harbor roads. Mr. Mace allegedly was behind a 2007 Hyundai driven by Mackenzie R. McElwain, 21, that was waiting to turn when he tried to turn in front of the car and struck it with the bike, according to reports. Both vehicles sustained minor damage.

A 16-year-old Bar Harbor boy was arrested Aug. 18 at the police station on a warrant.

Edgardo Canlas, 43, of Bar Harbor, was arrested Aug. 18 at a Ledgelawn Avenue apartment on a charge of domestic assault. Mr. Canlas was arrested again the next day at the athletic field parking lot on a charge of violating the conditions of his bail not to have contact with a certain person.

Dennis J. Cough, 63, of Bar Harbor, was arrested Saturday on Kennebec Street on a charge of OUI.

A woman reported Sunday that her purse, containing a wallet, cell phone and car keys, was stolen from a Main Street bar while she was dancing on Sunday.

Richard Hawk Hansen, 29, of The Woodlands, Tenn., was arrested Saturday on Mount Desert Street on a charge of OUI.

A man reported Aug. 18 that his construction trailer was broken into overnight while parked on Stony Brook Way and $4,700 worth of tools were stolen.

Paul E. McCloud, 55, of Kittery, was arrested Aug. 18 on Route 3 on a charge of OUI.

Jamin M. Huggins, 37, of Alta Dena, Calif., was arrested Aug. 17 on Main Street on a charge of domestic assault.

Dennis Fulmore, 36, of Bar Harbor, was arrested Tuesday on a charge of violating the conditions of his bail after police responded to a noise complaint at a Rodick Place bar.

An Albert Meadow Drive resident reported Sunday that her car had been covered with vegetable oil overnight.

Derek Johnson, 29, of Winter Harbor, was arrested Monday on Route 3 on a charge of OUI. Mr. Johnson also was summonsed on charges of operating after revocation, failure to give correct name and date of birth, violation of conditions of release and failure to sign a summons.

A Connecticut couple was warned not to return to a Main Street bar on Saturday after allegedly taking a glass and beer bottle off the premises.

Jeffrey Lawrence Dauber, 49, of Wapwallopen, Penn., was arrested Aug. 19 on the Eagle Lake Road on a charge of OUI.

Smoke from a new restaurant on lower Main Street was blamed for an activated fire alarm at the motel across the street from it on Friday and Saturday nights.

Damian A. Lumino, 20, of Hampden, and Zachary T. Glover, 19, of Great Pond, were summonsed Tuesday at a downtown apartment on charges of possession of alcohol by a minor, following a noise complaint.

Two men were accused of walking off from the Big Apple on Cottage Street without paying $3.65 for a can of gas. The men were tracked down by Officer Brad O’Neil and agreed to return and pay, according to reports.

A woman reported Saturday that her purse and other items were stolen from her car while it was parked on Cottage Street.

Southwest Harbor

Police investigated an Aug. 17 complaint of a black Labrador retriever running loose on the Seawall Road only to find out the “dog” was a stuffed animal placed on a lawn to slow traffic along the busy road.

Four days later, on Sunday, the owner of the stuffed dog reported it had been stolen. It was recovered nearby on the Cable Crossing Road.

Joseph Babino, 28, of North Yarmouth was summonsed Monday on a speeding charge.

Andrew Seagraves, 26, of Brighton, Mass. was summonsed Aug. 18 on a speeding charge.

Also summonsed on a charge of speeding was Thomas Lacrosse, 26, of Waltham.

Mount Desert

A young Northeast Harbor teen probably should have been more careful about watching scary movies while his parents are away.

The 14-year-old boy called police Aug. 17 to say he was home alone and somebody was inside his house. Police searched the home but found nothing out of the ordinary. The boy’s parents were located and agreed to pick him up.

Officer Leigh Guildford located two missing children Aug. 18.

The officer was flagged down while on patrol in Northeast Harbor by a woman who said two of the young children she watches couldn’t be found. Officer Guildford found the children in a nearby wooded area.

Shannon Lynk, 22, of Trenton was summonsed Monday on a charge of operating after suspension.

A man who left his bike unattended while shopping at a Northeast Harbor store came back to find it missing. The man said he was in the Pine Tree Market for about five minutes. The missing red Specialized bike has white lettering.


Deputy Luke Gross of the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department arrested a Tremont woman Aug. 18 on charges of domestic violence assault and creating a false public alarm. Following her arrest, Jamie Pratt, 29, was taken to the Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth.

For more police & court news, pick up a copy of the Mount Desert Islander.

Fenceviewer Staff

Fenceviewer Staff

Fenceviewer Staff

Latest posts by Fenceviewer Staff (see all)